FAQ 313: How do I backup my database?

Frequently Asked Questions relating to ClinicOffice v4 and v5
Forum rules
These articles are created and maintained by our support staff. Please feel free to post a reply to an article if you need more information on a subject or any additional help.
Post a reply

FAQ 313: How do I backup my database?

Postby Daniel Casserly » February 8th, 2011, 11:13 am

It is vital to take a backup of your database on a regular basis. Otherwise, if your computer hardware failed and you had never taken a backup, how would you get your data back?! :shock:

Taking a backup of your database is incredibly easy with ClinicOffice. All you have to do is follow these simple steps :-

Backing up your database!

[1] In ClinicOffice, go to TOOLS

[2] Click BACKUP DATABASE(if it asks you to log off, click yes). A window will then appear which will let you select the location of where to save your backup.
:!: HINT: It's really important to save your database to a separate device rather than back onto your computer. If you backup to the same hard disk where your database is stored, then if that hard disk breaks down, you're backups will go with it! We recommend using an external hard disk or a USB memory stick.

[3] When you have selected your location, click SAVE

[4] Another window will then appear asking you which level of compression you would like. NORMAL COMPRESSION is usually a good choice.

[5] You may see another window at this point asking if you want to remove the update file. If you do see this window, then we recommend clicking YES.

ClinicOffice will now start backing up your database. This may take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the size of your database. ClinicOffice will inform you once the backup is complete.

Is there any other way of taking a backup of my database?

Yes there is! If you are on the ClinicOffice Support Plan then you're entitled to our FREE online backup service. We install this on your MAIN/SERVER computer and this backs up automatically for you, even when you are using ClinicOffice. Also our Support Technicians monitor the process back here for you, so if there were any issues there is no need for you to worry, because we will resolve it for you straight away!

If you're not on the Support Plan and are interested in joining, then please contact us and we'll be happy to help you take full advantage of this excellent service.

I hope that this has been of help. :mrgreen:
ClinicOffice Support Team
Daniel Casserly

Post a reply

Return to FAQ Articles (START HERE if looking for help!)