#16 "Cannot Access Database Folder" message?

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for ClinicOffice 2005
Forum rules
These articles are created and maintained by our support staff. Please feel free to post a reply to an article if you need more information on a subject or any clarification.
Post a reply

#16 "Cannot Access Database Folder" message?

Postby Support » August 27th, 2005, 10:16 pm

Q. When I try to logon, I get a message which says something like :-
Cannot Access Database Folder
Unable to access the specified database folder :-
\\server\clinicdb

A. The most common cause for this is that you are trying to connect to a database over a network, and for some reason your computer cannot access the network.

To verify whether this is the problem, please try the following :-
1. Look closely at the error message and note the location where ClinicOffice is trying to find the database (in the above example it is \\server\clinicdb)
2. Click Start and then Run
3. Type in the expected database location exactly as it appears on the message (e.g. \\server\clinicdb)
4. Click OK
If a window opens showing you lots of database files, then your computer can connect and all is OK. If this is the case, try restarting ClinicOffice (or even your computer) to see if the problem is persistent. If it is then the FAQ on Resetting Troublesome File Sharing may solve the problem.

Most likely however, you will see a message which says something like...
\\server\clinicdb
The network path was not found.
...which means that your computer cannot find your server computer and/or the shared folder on it.

At this point, we have identified that the problem is a networking issue rather than a ClinicOffice problem. Here are some things to try:-
- Check that your network hub is turned on
- Check all network cable connections
- Temporarily disable any firewalls to see if they are blocking access
- If the fault is intermittent, try swapping network cables over with another computer
- Try accessing different computers on your network, not just the server
If you have a 'techie' available (i.e. someone technical who knows all about computers), it would probably be good to get him to look into it, as networking problems can be notoriously difficult to fix.

Where can I get more information on network troubleshooting?

We have another FAQ entitled Resetting Troublesome File Sharing which may solve the problem for you.

And here are a couple of 3rd party articles which may prove helpful in troubleshooting network faults :-

Microsoft Knowledgebase article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;304040

About.com article
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wind ... haring.htm
ClinicOffice Support Team
Support
Site Admin

Post a reply

Return to FAQ Articles