FAQ 302: Can I import data into my database?

Frequently Asked Questions relating to ClinicOffice v4 and v5
Forum rules
These articles are created and maintained by our support staff. Please feel free to post a reply to an article if you need more information on a subject or any additional help.
Post a reply

FAQ 302: Can I import data into my database?

Postby Support » November 3rd, 2008, 9:23 am

Yes, ClinicOffice allows you to import various types of data into your database.

STEP 1
The first step is to organize your data into a CSV File (Comma Separated Variable format), which can be done in a spreadsheet program (like Microsoft Excel).

We have prepared a 'ClinicOffice Import Specification' document which is available here :-
http://www.pioneersoftware.co.uk/files/cov5/ClinicOffice_Import_Specs.pdf

We've also created a few sample CSV import files which show you how to format the data so that it can be imported correctly. Click the following link to download the sample files :-
http://www.pioneersoftware.co.uk/files/cov5/import_samples

We recommend that you use these sample CSV files (from the above link) as templates for your own data.
Advanced Tip wrote:If you have created custom fields in your database (for example your Patient Editor) then you can still import to these fields by prefixing the column header name with "custom_". For example :-
- You created a custom patient field called "Heavy Smoker".
- The underlying field name was "Heavy_Smoker".
- Add a column to your CSV file called "custom_Heavy_Smoker"
ClinicOffice will now map the "custom_Heavy_Smoker" column to your custom field!

STEP 2

Run ClinicOffice and then log on to your database. Now click the TOOLS tab, then click DATA IMPORT.

The rest is quite straight-forward - simply select the CSV file that you have already created, then tell ClinicOffice what type of data you are importing and then click the VALIDATE button and (presuming your data validated ok) then click IMPORT.

ClinicOffice will then import your CSV file into your database.

If you have any questions or difficulties with this, then please post here and we'll do our best to answer your enquiries.
ClinicOffice Support Team
Support
Site Admin

Re: #12 Can I import data into my database?

Postby longbo » January 5th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Hi

I'm currently contemplating changing to Clinic Office :mrgreen: and I'm looking at importing patient data.

In the sample files, patients have a listed GP for example. Is this field not linked to a list of GPs? How is this linking accomplished? [The database I am currently using has a numeric reference in this column, which is linked to the database of GPs.]

Regards

John
longbo

Postby Support » January 6th, 2009, 11:06 am

Hi John,

You should specify the GPs name in the import file (e.g. Dr Phillip Jones) and then ClinicOffice will search your Contacts Database to match the name to an existing Contact record. If it can't find a matching record, it will create a new contact record for the GP.
Support
Site Admin

Postby longbo » January 7th, 2009, 10:48 am

support wrote:Hi John,

You should specify the GPs name in the import file (e.g. Dr Phillip Jones) and then ClinicOffice will search your Contacts Database to match the name to an existing Contact record. If it can't find a matching record, it will create a new contact record for the GP.

Hi

Our current system has a database of GPs. If I import this into the Clinic Office 'contact' database, can I import the existing index numbers and then, if I subsequently import our patient database, will Clinic Office pick up the index number from the GP field and link the correct GP? If not I will have to write a routine to replace the GP index field in our patient database with the GP name. This I can do, except that GPs often work in several practices and these are all different entries in our GP database. Also, of course, we have numerous GPs withe the same name!

Can you please comment on my other point about searching for GP names in the Patient entry form. Is it necessary for all the contacts to be searched, when GPs are identified separately as a category within your contacts database?

Regards
longbo

Postby Support » January 9th, 2009, 4:33 am

Hi John,

I've taken a look at the import routine and currently the GP field is only imported based on their name. However it would actually be a simple change for us to allow you to specify the numeric GP ID field instead when importing the Patient list which would then link the GP -> Patients based on ID instead.

I notice from our records that you haven't yet purchased ClinicOffice. If you decide to proceed please mention this forum post to our staff when you place your order and we'll be happy make this adjustment for you.

John wrote:Can you please comment on my other point about searching for GP names in the Patient entry form. Is it necessary for all the contacts to be searched, when GPs are identified separately as a category within your contacts database?

GPs are listed under the Contacts database and the 'GP' field in the Patient Editor is a contact-lookup field so when you perform the lookup, ClinicOffice will list all matching Contact records (including non-GPs).

If you feel that this would present a severe problem to you, then we could look at the possibility of allowing users to filter the lookups on contact sub-categories too.
Support
Site Admin

Post a reply

Return to FAQ Articles (START HERE if looking for help!)